Thursday, April 4, 2013

A Date That Begins On The Mall


It was late August of 2000, my mother and I arrived in DC for my freshmen orientation week at Howard University. Like every parent, my mother went over a check- list of things I needed for my dorm as well as planned activities for the next day.

Like any teenager, I ignored 99% of what she said until I heard,  “We’re going to the mall tomorrow.” I instantly begin plotting on the things I wanted from the mall that I couldn’t afford to buy.

The next day my mom, our cousin and I arrived at the “mall.” I said to myself, “This isn’t the mall I was thinking of.” With little disappointment (actually a lot) we walked on this long patch of grass and rocks (which I still hoped an actual shopping mall was in sight) until we arrived at the Lincoln Memorial. I looked at my mom and asked,  “ Where can you buy me some shoes?”

So now that we've realized that the “National Mall” isn’t a retail mall at all, your date begins NOW!

DC is a town of drinks, political banter, dinner, baseball games and more drinks.  But, how about a cultural/historical date?

You and your date should meet at the Willard Hotel Café with fancy scones, fresh brewed coffee, gourmet sandwiches and outdoor seating. Why there? That’s where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. wrote his renowned “I Have a Dream" speech. Not the café, but in the hotel room of the Willard.  Perhaps your date doesn’t know yet, but you are about to embark on a historical and cultural journey. Link to Café here: http://cafeduparc.com/

Next, head over to Dr. King's Memorial that sits on the tidal basin. Once you've read the many moving and inspirational quotes written on the walls, take a walk around the tidal basin and look at the stunning line of cherry blossoms.

Make your next stop the Lincoln Memorial and experience where Dr. King addressed thousands of people and delivered his most famous "I Have a Dream" speech, signifying a defining moment in the Civil Rights Movement.  You can even impress him/her with quoting a couple lines.

As the sun begins to set and happy hour is approaching, journey over to Station 4 located 1101 4th Street SW, Washington, DC.  Station 4 is an American bistro restaurant that offers Happy Hour specials from 4-7pm with special pre-fixe menus and yummy specialty cocktails for pre-Arena Stage attendees.  The menu's selection of popular American dishes combined with the atmosphere creates a wonderful transition to the next cultural venture.  Link to Station 4 http://www.station4dc.com/

Arena Stage located 1101 Sixth Street SW, Washington, DC; two blocks from Station 4; Arena Stage is one of the premier Theater centers in DC.  Arena Stage is currently showing former Broadway play “Mountain Top.” The play takes place in 1968 in Memphis, TN in the motel room where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated a day later on the balcony of the motel.  Link to Arena Stage  http://www.arenastage.org/

"The play was thought-provoking, funny, and addressed some of the same issues we are faced with in America today. "  –Josh Gray

The date is ending and h/she looks into your eyes and says “Thank you. That was the most amazing date I’ve ever had.”

Your response should be, “Josh Gray taught me.”  - Kanye voice






No comments: