Introduction To My Madness of Date Eat Drink
As I prepared to move to DC for college (Howard University), my parents pushed me to explore what the city had to offer outside of campus life. Neighborhoods such U Street, Georgetown, Adams Morgan etc. provided me with so much to delve into. Overwhelmed by the possibilities for exploration, it was hard to wrap my mind around having to use public transportation in the complicated city I had just moved to. Being a California boy from the Bay, I wasn’t familiar with 90 degree days with heat indexes of 100. Walking one block in the sweltering heat had me looking like criminal from the show COPS; sweating profusely and desperately needing an outfit change.
Oh, and how about those winters? I told myself I would never conform to wearing Timberland boots or puffy North Face jackets like I just walked off the set of a 90’s rap video. Once November hit, I was looking fresh off a 90’s music video with a fresh pair of Tim’s and a North FACE, but ready for blustery cold that soon approached.
Off I went on my adventure around the city I called the unknown
DATE
However, when I moved off campus my third year of college, I did begin to explore DC, thanks to my BMW (Bus-Metro-Walk). Now, with a car and eleven years under my belt, I would say my knowledge of the city and all of its wonders has grown. I’m somewhat of an official tour guide of DC. My love for adventure and for women, coupled with my desire to know more... about the city and about life, has helped me come up with some great ideas for dates.
EAT
After my first year of college my father sat me down and said “Josh. You’re not going to have a lot of money to take women out. More importantly you’re not going to have a lot of money to always eat out. So, I am going to teach you how to cook. My first dish was lasagna. It was easy and I had leftover for days. Fast-forward through five years of burning food, including the driest Thanksgiving turkey ever and your man has learned how to COOK.
I was fortunate. My first job in DC exposed me to fancy restaurants and expensive drinks. With that, plus my growing ability to make delicious and affordable food, I was on to something.
DRINK
Some may call me a wine snob,I think I’m far from it. I do have an extensive wine collection. I consider myself more a student of wine and I love to meet people who can expose me to great wines. My mom however, is a bona fide wine snob. She prefers Italian wines, although she has been known to enjoy the fruits from California's vines. It was my mother who taught me to appreciate a good bottle of wine and the cooking magazines that discussed the fine art of pairing wine with food.
So it came to be Date Eat Drink!
I created this blog because I know that I am not alone in my desire to combine these elements in the pursuit of a memorable date. I encourage you to use this blog a guide... a cheat sheet, if you will, for tips on where to take that special someone, on your the first date.
Bon Apetit, Salud, L'Chaim and Good Luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment