DATE
I have to admit, I wasn’t planning to feature back-to-back posts on art exhibits, but this is a must see. There have been many American artists that were able to stand out by creating memorable work, but this particular artist made the Campbell’s soup can a cultural icon, made art out of eight Elvises (that eventually sold for over $100 million), and took the image of Marilyn Monroe to the next level. Yes, that’s right… I’m talking about Andy Warhol!
Andy used different media to express himself. If he wasn’t painting he was filming, if he wasn’t filming, he was recording an album. A student of life, he also learned quite a bit from his friends Keith Haring and Jackson Pollack.
Two exhibits of Andy’s life and work are currently on display in DC -- one at the Hirshorn (Independence Avenue & 7th Street, SW), and the other in the National Gallery of Art, East Wing (4th Street & Constitution Avenue, NW).
EAT
“Good morning, babe. I made you breakfast!” ß That’s what he or she would like to hear on a fall Saturday morning – after all, sometimes the best “dates” are at home. I recently made a blueberry coffee cake and it was AMAZING. Well… it didn’t turn out so well the first time, but it was great on the second try! I’m firm believer that simplicity makes for the best dishes, and this coffee cake, while simple, is also simply delicious and would be the perfect thing to share with your partner as you read the paper together in bed.
Here’s the recipe (via allrecipes.com):
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup packed brown sugar 2/3 cup all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 cup butter 2 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt | 1/2 cup butter 1 cup white sugar 1 egg 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/2 cup milk 1 cup fresh blueberries 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting |
DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a Bundt pan well with cooking spray. | ||
2. Make the streusel topping: Mix 1 brown cup sugar, 2/3-cup flour, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Cut in 1/2-cup butter or margarine; topping mixture will be crumbly. Set aside. | ||
3. For the cake: Beat 1/2 cup butter or margarine in large bowl until creamy; add 1 cup white sugar, and beat until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Whisk together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt; add alternately with the milk to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. | ||
4. Spread half the batter in the prepared pan. Cover with berries, and add remaining batter by tablespoons. Cover with streusel topping. | ||
5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 to 60 minutes, until deep golden brown. Remove pan to wire rack to cool. Invert onto a plate after cake has cooled, and dust with confectioners' sugar. Now we have that we have the “appetizer” covered, let’s move onto a good main dish -- omelets. I always thought it was impossible to make the perfect omelet until my dad taught me the secret to making an awesome omelet, and now I’m sharing it with you. Check out the recipe below: INGREDIENTS 2 large eggs 2 tablespoons milk Pinch kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 1 tablespoon unsalted butter Omelet filling suggestions, optional, follow DIRECTIONS 1. Combine the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl and mix very well with a fork or a whisk. 2. Set a plate by the stove. Heat a small (about 6 inches) seasoned omelet pan or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is warm, add the butter (it should sizzle gently). Swirl the pan to distribute the butter as it melts. When the butter stops sizzling and the foam subside add the eggs. 3. Pause to let the eggs heat slightly and then stir vigorously, with a heatproof spatula, making sure you include the sides of the egg mixture occasionally so the omelet cooks evenly. Once the eggs are just set, bang the pan gently on the burner to release the omelet from the pan. Check to see that it is not sticking to the sides or bottom of the pan, if so release the omelet with a heat proof spatula. Hold the pan at a 45-degree angle to the stove and carefully fold the omelet like a business letter. 4. Cook just until the desired degree of doneness lifting the pan or reducing the heat to prevent browning. (A classic omelet doesn't have any browning on it.) Transfer to a warm plate and serve. If you really want to impress someone, throw together some home fries. This is an easy recipe to follow (via smittenkitchen.com): Home Fries
INGREDIENTS 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch cubes 4 tablespoons salted butter
1 onions, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste Seasoning of your choice: Garlic powder or salt work great, as does smoky Spanish paprika or chopped chives DIRECTIONS 1. Arrange potatoes in large microwave-safe bowl, top with 1 tablespoon butter, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high until edges of potatoes begin to soften, 5 to 7 minutes, shaking bowl (without removing plastic) to redistribute potatoes halfway through cooking. 2. Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in large regular or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and golden brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer to small bowl. 3. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in now-empty skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and pack down with spatula. Cook, without moving, until underside of potatoes is brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn potatoes, pack down again, and continue to cook until well browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring potatoes every few minutes, until crusty and golden on all sides, 9 to 12 minutes. Stir in onion, seasonings of your choice and salt and pepper and ENJOY!!!! DRINK My friend Ambereen (who barely drinks herself) told me I should suggest more than one wine under my drink subject, so I guess I should do that. The French Merlot called LA CROIX FLAMANDE 2008,Is one of my favorite wines of the moment. I was at my uncle’s house last week and before I left I asked him could I take a bottle for the road. I searched through the bottles his friends brought over for his parties and founded the LA CROIX. I wasn’t too surprised how great it tasted (because it’ French), but man words cannot describe how smooth and enjoyable it was . It has burst of flavor that you can enjoy with a steak, rabbit, or cheese. Cost. $9.99 If I had to describe my style I think I would say I’m a classic dresser. Some may describe my style as European or trendy. There is one think about Hendricks Gin, it has it’s OWN STYLE!! Want to feel like Frank Sinatra or James Bond? Order a gin martin (Hendricks) with two cucumbers. It will change your life and the conversation at the bar with the woman your with or just met when order this drink. | ||
No comments:
Post a Comment